Take a look at it now because this Kikuyu grass is going going (soon to be) gone. I know its lush and soft to walk on but its a right royal pain in the butt. It runs everywhere and through my beds, despite the layers of cardboard and newspaper that were put down when we built the beds. It steals all the moisture from my veggies. I will miss being able to garden in bare feet but I'm sure ill manage to find a comfy pair of garden shoes. The plan is to add lots of vertical beds using pallets and gutters supported by upright poles along the fence, some of which will have espaliered fruit trees between them. With a solid ground cover (probably Tuscan toppings like the front nature strip here) ill be able to group pots together giving me more growing space and soften the look of the garden. Its looking like an accountants garden, all straight lines.
As you can see once the surrounding iron was removed (surprisingly easily) the grass has well and truly taken over. I'm getting ready for winter crops and i couldn't imagine planting in this nor continuing to pull the runners out every few weeks.
Step 1 - Shovel all this soil onto a mat for cleaning up later.
Step 2 - Use the dreaded Roundup to spray all the grass up to 2m from the bed. I know, i should do it all at once but its such a big job and well, i finally ran out of the stuff which I've had for years. Tilly has been locked in the house for the day so that there is no danger of her coming into contact with the poison.
Once I've killed it all, anything that pops up with be dealt with using a kettle of hot water - tip from Gavin (Greening of Gavin). We were joking a few weeks ago about how if anything green started coming up in the wrong place id be out there like a female warrior with a garden wand raised in my right hand and a kettle in the other.
|This is how i picture myself !!!|
|This is more like reality!!!|
Step 3 - Put down weed mat. Ive doubled mine and pegged it down tight.
|Eventually this will go everywhere under the gravel.|
|Lucky i have skips full of this stuff at work|
Step 5 - I then filled the bottom of the bed with a huge pile of leaf litter. Food for the worms and hopefully a moisture layer.
I sprinkled pelleted organic fertiliser right through this layer and watered it in.
Step 6 - This one took some time. I shovelled that grass ridden soil into a wheel barrow (make that about 15 of them) and went through by hand and broke up all the clay lumps and removed every rock and runner i could find. It took a while but this soil was worth keeping, take a look at all the worms.
|Seriously, this wasn't staged. This is how many were in there. Every time i broke open a clod it was filled with worms. I felt like a worm condo wrecker.|
He even said it was therapeutic running his hand through the soil and talking to the worms.
|Got to admit this soil is looking pretty good. Lots or organic matter and a blend of both my clay and introduced soil and compost. All ready for some plants and mulch.|
|The lettuce bed is still flourishing.|
|As are the zucchinis and peppers. |
|Always, always, always have home made pasta sauce in the freezer. Hubby's (son wont eat it) and another serve in the fridge for tomorrow.|
|Bacon and cheese quiche for the young man.|
|Onion, potato and bacon quiche served with my zucchini relish (here) which i made in January for me with lots left over for tomorrow.|
|Zucchini Slice - Still using them up. Good for the freezer.|
Thanks for Visiting Living In The Land of Oz