Monday, 31 March 2014

So That's How The Other Half Live

You know in the movies how you see the lead male organise a private jet to fly some young buxom lass off to dinner in some exotic location.  I'm thinking Richard Gere in Pretty Woman or Pierce Brosnan in The Thomas Crown Affair.  Well it wasn't exactly a private jet (more like Jetstar) and now that I'm 50 (Egad) I'm not a young girl but the company was excellent in the form of my big sister Glenda, we are both very buxom and rather than champagne she did give me lollies so my ears wouldn't pop on takeoff.

Goodness, i had to pause there.  When i typed "buxom girls" into Google Images you should have seen what came up.  I think i need a lie down........and to delete my browsing history before my teenage son finds it.   You'll just have to use your imagination.

Glenda and i flew to Hobart, Tasmania yesterday for a beautiful 5 hour cruise that included a 5 star meal in Peppermint Bay.  Such a lovely birthday present.  I know, I know i can hear some of my blog buddies screaming out "carbon miles" but really guys, you live once, right?  I think it all started when i mentioned many time over the last few years that i didn't want a party for my birthday (like my other siblings). I had a PLAN and that was to add and E  (for those that are a bit slow that spells PLANE) and go somewhere. Well my "No Party" wish didn't turn out too well (read all about my surprise 50th party on my last post here) so she came up with this little adventure just to tick off all the boxes.

This is not my photo.  For some reason they don't like you taking pictures of their planes.  Actually the opening photo isn't mine either.  I was in it silly, how could i take a picture of it on the water?  
This big day started out very early yesterday with my lovely Hubby (who is not a morning person) volunteering to take us girls to Tullamarine Airport. They wanted $56 to park my car for a day, no thank you! Our flight left at 6am and so two very excited sisters, neither of who slept a wink (no help from Tom who was giving me hourly reminders "its two o'clock Mum, just thought you should know" , "its just past 3 Mum, are you getting up"), very nervously wandering around the airport asking everyone with a uniform what to do next. Big travellers we are not and in truth we are just country bumpkins pretending to live in the big smoke who have a thing for uniforms. LOL   Oh, did i tell it was Glenda's first flight.

Having a son that is an Aspie and a recent missing plane in the news, the program Air Crash Investigations have featured fairly heavily in our house the last few weeks.  Tom advised me that when i was choosing the seats i should make sure its down the back where the black box is and because when the plane breaks on impact, the rear is more likely to hold together.  So much useful information Tom. Glenda chose the seats and they were up the front.

I don't think its appropriate at the moment to put a picture of an aeroplane snapped in half here, do you?

Well we were up for the experience and true to form i was even called aside during the security check and my bag and i were given the once over and wipe down for substances.  Do i look like i would be carrying traces of TNT or narcotics? Well some of you don't know because you have never seen me.  I'm the woman in the blue dress, big boobs and big a......e  like my profile picture, right?  Maybe he thought i was someone skinny with padding? Personally i think he could see that we totally had no clue and was giving us the full airport experience.   We were also checked over by the sniffer dogs at the other end.  Hello,  if i had nothing on me at the start of the flight, how would i have something on me at the other end?  What if it (Mr Beagle) went ape because i smelt like Tilly who i had cuddled before i left.  The mind boggles at the possibilities for this scenario.

Once arriving in Hobart we caught a shuttle to Sullivan's Cove.  This is on the Derwent River and is the site of the first European settlement here in 1804.   This historic area near the pier is surrounded by buildings made of giant slabs of stone and pavements made of bluestone.  They are really beautiful to look at but also a reminder of a dark piece of Australian history where settlements were built on the backs and lives of convicts.  I can however admire the craftsmanship.  I especially love old bluestone bridges.

These buildings are now full of cafes, restaurants and galleries.  The world famous Salamanca Market is held on these same streets and in the grassed area out the front on Saturdays.  We are hoping to come back later in the year for a full weekend.

At 8am on a Sunday with the streets empty, breakfast seemed like a good idea and so we found a lovely restaurant in the courtyard behind.

Love Coffee Art - at Rendezvou

No, i did not eat all this, no one could!

The pier next door had several boats docked including a Survey Ship probably bound for Antarctica, a huge catamaran bound for MONA (Museum of Old & New Art) and a replica of the tall ship Lady Nelson which we saw later out on the river when we were on our cruise.

We departed on our own cat about 11am.   I'm not sure if it was organised by Glenda or not but we managed to score really comfy lounge chairs in the Captains Cabin upstairs.  It was very luxurious and there was drink and food service if we wanted.

Leaving Hobart
I spent most of the first leg of the trip on the deck outside.  It was cool and windy but the air was so pure. We were told that when the wind is blowing from the Southern Oceans that it has been rated as some of the cleanest air in the world.  I was certainly getting my lungs full as well as a free blowave.

The cruise is dotted with commentary of the various passing suburbs, historical sites and some very interesting geological facts.

These are the Alum Cliffs, named for their geological properties and they are a popular walking track for residents and visitors.

We paused several time to watch sea lions bask in the sun and also at one point stopped to lower a camera over the side to view a small cold water reef with coral, marine plants and fish through the flat screens on board. Lunch beckoned and so it was onto Peppermint Bay.  Isn't that a lovely name for a location.  Its name is derived from the Peppermint Gums that line the foreshore.  We stopped at a small settlement called Woodbridge and walked up just a few steps to find ourselves at the restaurant, also named Peppermint Bay.

Our meal started with some very savoury nuts and a selection of olives.   They then served, ahem, some oysters with apple.  I'm sure it was lovely and we certainly didn't have trouble finding takers for them.  Seafood is not our thing.

The next course was a beautiful flavoured hummus with crisp baked sourdough. Glenda still had a turned up look on her face.  3 courses down and she still didn't have anything to eat.

Good ole pumpkin and sweet potato soup saved the day for Glenda.  It was really nice.

The main, which i didn't get a photo of was a win win win.  It was lamb fillet sous vide (or poached under vacuum) which was finished off with a slight roasting and served on a puree of egg plant.  Yum Yum.   It was so so tender and served with rosemary baked potatoes and a cauliflower and quinoa salad (another first).

Something i certainly didn't say no too was the salted caramel fudge.  I would have given my soul for another piece but everyone was of the same opinion and so only one made it onto my plate.   I believe that the menu was all local ingredients and as such my guilt in having flown and cruised there in carbon fuel guzzling beasts was assuaged.

We dined and chatted with some lovely ladies and after a short wander around the grounds we made our way back to the boat.

Glenda wondering with the door shut, just how she's going to leap up there to go to the loo.  No, she wasn't.  She was dutifully looking at the boat on my instruction while i took a pic.  Most accommodating she was - i wouldn't have.  

I can't tell you too much about the trip back because we two "Bobbsey Twins" (who even have the same colour hair because we shared a box) had a nanna nap in our very comfortable lounge chairs. Gosh, we must have looked a site but when we woke, everyone was smiling so it couldn't have been too bad OR it was and we were very entertaining.

On arriving back in Hobart we caught a shuttle back to the airport and had a small wait till our 7pm.  I was given a very challenging Soduku puzzle to do by my fellow passengers and so before i knew it we were back in Melbourne.  Hubby once again picked us up and almost got a ticket for stopping in the wrong spot.  It was dark and there were no signs to tell us where the public pickup area is.  I think they want you to use the public car park which cost a fortune for just 30 minutes.

Gosh were we both tired but happy.  We are planning our next adventure later in the year. Id really like to see more of Tasmania.

So who has the best big sister in the world - I do.  Nope not arguing with anyone.  Its a fact!   

PS.  For those who think i have crossed over to the dark side of wanton consumerism and consumption, im planning a staycation for Easter to work on my veggie patch and the food that thrilled me the most was the 20cm long 2cm thick potato chip we had at the Hobart airport.  It was perfection.  Crispy on the outside and all gooey on the inside.  3 was enough though.  

Thanks for Visiting Living In The Land Of Oz

1 comment:

  1. You sure do have the best sister ever can I please adopt her. Looks like you had a awesome day. Tom is funny isnt he thats something Tyler would do.
    A very witty post. You know when I went to Queensland same thing happened to me at the airport, have no idea why I suppose they need to look busy.
    A Nana nap and all lol that made me laugh. The food in Tassie is divine I dont know what it is but everywhere I went the food was beautiful.
    Im so glad you had a great trip xx


Please leave a comment. I enjoy making connections with my readers. Hope you enjoyed your visit.