Pages

Friday 24 April 2015

Live it up, while you can


I'm going to have to have a serious talk to my "older" friend, Noelle.  She is scaring the pants off me with all these emails on old age.  If i didn't know any better, I'd think she had one foot in the grave.  That's not true, she's only 73.  In a week's time she flies off for a two month holiday in Florida with her sister.    I remember several times over the last 10 year being told that "this trip will be the last, as i don't know if I'll be able to do it again".  Well here she is, hip operation over , beautifully recovered and off on another trip.   Noelle spends several hours standing, doing our family's ironing each Friday and tidying up so i can come home and for that one day (it doesn't last long) i feel like its all under control.   She is my angel. 

This arrived by email today from Noelle.  


Another year has passed
and we’re all a little older.
Last summer felt hotter
and winter seems much colder.

There was a time not long ago
when life was quite a blast.
Now I fully understand
about ‘Living in the Past’.

We used to go to weddings,
football games and lunches.
Now we go to funeral homes 
and after-funeral brunches.

We used to have hangovers,
from parties that were gay.
Now we suffer body aches
and whine the night away.

We used to go out dining,
and couldn't get our fill.
Now we ask for doggie bags,
come home and take a pill.

We used to often travel
to places near and far.
Now we get sore asses
from riding in the car.

We used to go to nightclubs
and drink a little booze.
Now we stay home at night 
and watch the evening news.

That, my friend is how life is,  
and now my tale is told.
So, enjoy each day and live it up . . . .
Before you’re too damned old!

Got to make you laugh, doesn't it.   Au Revoir my sweet.  Parting is such sorrow - who is going to do the ironing?

 
Thanks for Visiting Living In The Land Of Oz

2 comments:

  1. sorry I shouldn't laugh, but I did laugh, some folk are like that one foot in the grave all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelle has been through a lot of physical discomfort in the last few years and her favorite saying is "getting older stinks!"

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I enjoy making connections with my readers. Hope you enjoyed your visit.