Pages

Friday 8 March 2013

Sweet Chilli Temptations



Sweet Temptation  - Mild
Well something thinks they are tempting because everyday i come out and find more with big chomp marks or holes in them.  So i have had to pick them.  I've put it off for as long as possible because it has been the most beautiful feature plant in my garden.  I know, we are suppose to be eating them and being self sufficient is the goal but sometimes food comes in forms other than what we put in our mouths.  Seeing the beauty in my veggie patch is just as fulfilling to me as making zuchini slice.  


So i deseeded them and gave them a quick rinse.  Some went straight into a freezer bag to be dropped in stews or soups and some were rinsed in vinnigar (to kill any bacteria), rinsed again in water, quick shake and then covered in oil.  They will last in the fridge for 12 months so long as they are covered and the oil will be flavoured as well.



I dont eat alot of chillies but the one way i do enjoy them is in a sweet chilli sauce, especially with freshly fried spring rolls.  I still have half a bush left so as i pick and freeze ill be looking to make up  500gm to make the following. 

Sweet Chilli Sauce

Makes 500ml
500g long red chillies
4 garlic cloves
2 lime leaves, chopped
½ stick lemongrass, chopped
400g white sugar
120ml cider vinegar
50ml fish sauce


1 Halve the long red chillies and remove half of the seeds. Combine in a blender with the garlic, lime leaves and lemongrass and puree until completely smooth.
2 Transfer to a saucepan and add the sugar, vinegar and fish sauce. Cook over a medium heat until the mixture thickens. Transfer to sterilised bottles and seal while hot. Store in a cool dark place, refrigerate after opening, and use within 2 weeks of opening.



This recipe was taken from http://www.fast-ed.com.au/sweet-chilli-sauce/

Thanks for visiting Living In The Land of Oz



2 comments:

  1. Well done with the sauce! I love sweet chilli sauce - it's absolutely delicious. Sorry to hear about your pain issues... hope you feel better soon with some rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet chilli sauce, this year I made a chilli jam, which is waaaaay too spicy for me. maybe next year ill give this one a go!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I enjoy making connections with my readers. Hope you enjoyed your visit.